Thursday, February 12, 2009

All Thrums

Inspired by a recent Knitting Daily blog entry, and my quest for colour, I've decided play around with some wonderfully coloured fleece I bought quite awhile ago from Rovings, a very cool sample pack of a wide variety of colours (I'll have to lay it all out and take a "group" picture I think). Up until now, I've done thrummed mittens and slippers (hand and machine knit) in fairly traditional, low key colours, such as these slippers.




These were made with Briggs and Little Heritage yarn (I think) and B&L pencil roving for the thrums. They make great, super warm slippers, and they stand up reasonably well, although I have a pair right now (not pictured) that will require some heel surgery.


So I started out quietly, getting myself back into the swing of things by doing this swatch, experimenting with spacing - close/not close, lined up/offset, tone on tone (hard to tell in the picture, perhaps, but there is a section near the top of brown thrums on brown yarn), and then the fun started! You'll get an idea from the top little cluster of thrums of the variety of awesome colours I have in the fleece. I know it's curled there, and hard to see (although you get a glimpse of the fleecey goodness at the back where it curls).

I never thought I'd hear myself say this, as someone who used to hate to swatch, but I'm sold on it now - sometimes it's just darn fun to play around.

To be continued.......





No comments: