Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Workin' it

Computers and spreadsheets are great, but sometimes plain old paper and pencil are the best design tools going.  I used to keep swatches in a binder along with yarn notes etc, but the swatches add a lot of bulk, so I had a brainstorm one day – make a colour photocopy of the swatch to put in the binder.  Not only does it cut down on the bulk in the binder, but printer/scanner/copiers make pretty much actual size photocopies of things, so measuring gauge right on the paper instead of a 3D stretchy swatch is a great way to get an accurate measure.  AND, I can use this colour (or black and white) copy of a swatch and design right on it.  I’m not going to say right now what the design is that I have in process, but keen eyes might be able to guess the inspiration.

 

Namaste!

No comments: